It doesn’t matter what industry you’re in or what kind of business you have, Health and Safety management is essential! All employees have the right to work in an environment where risks are reduced as much as possible. That’s where IOSH Managing Safely comes in.
Managers and Team Leaders need to understand their responsibilities. Otherwise, it will be very difficult for them to create a safer workspace. The IOSH Managing Safely course allows you to do that by providing this knowledge through a risk management health and safety qualification.
By taking the course, managers, team leaders, and executives will come to understand the requirements that will lead to a safer and, therefore, more productive workforce. They will learn to prioritise health and safety for all their employees, who are a huge part of the organisation’s success.
Through this article, we’ll learn everything about the IOSH Managing Safely course so you can understand how worthwhile and essential it is. If you’re serious about being a valuable member of your organisation and doing your best to provide safety, this qualification is something you must pursue.
What Is IOSH, exactly?
IOSH stands for Institution of Occupational Safety and Health. This is the Chartered body for health and safety professionals. This organisation is internationally recognised as the leading body for health and safety in the workplace and is based in the United Kingdom. IOSH provides information, guidance, and qualifications that are aimed at increasing the standards of health and safety in work environments.
What Is IOSH Managing Safely?
IOSH Managing Safely is a course focused on identifying the most optimum way of minimising risk in a working environment. It is the market-leading health and safety course for line managers, and is tried, tested, and trusted. Designed to provide all managers with the confidence and enthusiasm to apply knowledge to the workplace, this course is unlike any other. It was designed for managers, leaders, and supervisors; the people responsible for the work environment within an organisation. This course is relevant for all industries, sectors, and size of organisation.
This course is divided into modules that focus on risk assessment and control, understanding of workplace responsibilities and hazards, incident investigation, and performance measurement. The coursework can be completed through online/eLearn training or classroom based training lasts 16-24 hours and it ends with a multiple-choice exam followed by a practical risk assessment project.
The IOSH Managing Safely course will provide you with the knowledge and skills you need to reduce health and safety risks for your team. When you finish it, you will have the confidence to improve the culture of health and safety within your organisation.
What Does the IOSH Managing Safely Course Cover?
The IOSH Managing Safely course is divided into two units: a taught module and an assignment. So, you will first gain the knowledge you need and then you’ll have to demonstrate it with a practical project. The entire course covers 8 different topics, which are as follows:
- Introduction to Managing Safely. In this module, you will gain a basic understanding as a manager and team leader of what health and safety means. Additionally, it will explain the things you’re accountable and responsible for in the workplace.
- Accident and Incident Investigation. This module will focus on the difference between accidents and close calls, how to respond to workplace incidents, and how to carry on a proper investigation.
- Human Factors. In this part of the course, you will learn to identify all the relevant organisational and individual factors. Additionally, you will learn how to promote a culture of health and safety and you will understand the human failures and violations that can lead to accidents and risks.
- Risk Assessment. In this module, you will learn how to conduct a proper risk assessment and practice sensible risk management.
- Risk Control. This module will go through the entire legal framework for risk management and explain the required levels of control. As well as, the necessary Safe Systems of Work (SSW).
- Manager’s Responsibilities. This is an essential part of the IOSH Managing Safely course because it explains health and safety law and its enforcement. As well as the plan, do, check, and act methodology.
- Common Hazards. In this module, you’ll learn all about the most common hazards, such as: trips and falls, electrical issues, bullying and violence, slips, etc.
- Performance Measurement. Lastly, the taught module will end with a lesson on active and reactive health and safety monitoring and auditing. You will learn to measure performance and identify what improvements can be made.
Evidently, at the end of the course, you will have all the tools and knowledge you need to understand your responsibilities, recognise workplace hazards, evaluate and reduce risk, and leverage risk control methodology effectively, among many other things.
What Are the Benefits of This IOSH Managing Safely Course?
IOSH Managing Safely offers many different benefits that will make your work and the responsibilities that come with it a lot easier to carry out. Here are some of the key benefits, which are reason enough to go ahead with the course.
- If you are interested in a career in health and safety, the IOSH Managing Safely course provides a solid foundation for further learning. This includes moving onto gaining qualifications from the National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health. Also known as NEBOSH.
- All the knowledge you gain from the course allows you to create a safer work environment, which leads to greater productivity. Accidents and illness always affect productivity. Ensuring everyone’s wellbeing is the best way to have a motivated and productive workforce. That includes managers and leaders.
- The IOSH Managing Safely course provides valuable insight and understanding of your responsibilities as a manager. It will make it easier for you to recognise risks that are common, assess whatever situations may arise, and reduce risk with the application of an effective risk control methodology.
- Additionally, this course will help you understand HSE legislation so you can apply it a lot better in the workplace. Knowing that everyone is complying with laws related to health and safety will be a huge weight off your shoulders.
- This course also helps you provide a better service not just to your employees, but to your community as well. Whenever there is an incident in a business or commercial space, it affects the safety of the area you’re in. Keep your workplace safe and you’ll keep your community safe as well.
- Everything you learn in this course will allow you to be a perfectly responsible manager with a clean track record. This gives you and your organisation credibility in the industry, which is a good edge to have. The improvement of your managing safely skills allows you to boost your business’ reputation, which is highly advantageous.
- IOSH Managing Safely qualifications are recognised all around the world, which is great if you work overseas. After all, the IOSH is the largest health and safety organisation in the world. A qualification from them is highly valuable.
- In the long run, this course will allow you to save money. Incidents and sicknesses are very expensive. Not just because you have to handle the aftermath, but also because you have to provide your employees with sick pay and cover other necessary expenses.
- The IOSH badge is a mark of quality within the world of workplace Health and Safety. This badge sets organisations and individuals apart from those without the esteemed marque.
All of these key benefits make the IOSH Managing Safely course extremely worth your while. Not only does it provide helpful skills and valuable knowledge but it also makes you and your business better.
Everything will run more smoothly! Not only that, everyone in the organisation will feel more motivated and productive, you will enjoy more peace of mind, and your community will be better because of it. Overall, it provides great value.
Who Is the IOSH Managing Safely Course For?
The IOSH Managing Safely course is relevant to everyone in a management or supervisory role. If you’re responsible for an entire workforce and organisation, it’s essential to pursue this health and safety qualification.
You don’t need any experience or qualifications to take the course so you can get started whenever you’d like. The IOSH Managing Safely course is also suited for those interested in pursuing a career in the health and safety sector. It will provide a basic foundation upon which you can build more and more knowledge for a career in the industry.
Does This Certification Expire?
One of the best things about the IOSH Managing Safely course is that you only have to take it once. When you complete it and you receive the certification, it will be valid for life.
That being said, it is recommended by IOSH that you complete your ‘refresher’ training every three years. But again, this is a recommendation not a requirement. This will help you keep your knowledge fresh and updated. Unlike other qualifications, you won’t have to come back to this every single year.
However, you do need to brush up on your responsibilities as a manager and keep an eye on HSE legislation for any changes. If you want to perform at the highest level and provide your business with excellent health and safety, you need to keep things fresh.
What Is Included in the IOSH Managing Safely Training?
The key ‘ingredients’ for the IOSH Managing Safely course include the following:
- Hazard Identification. The Managing Safely course goes through the range of possible hazards that may take place in the workplace. The course focuses on the hazards from an industry perspective. As such, we consider activity, equipment, substance, and location.
- Assessment and Definition of Risks. The Managing Safely course allows learners to understand the process of risk assessment with a simple scoring system. Additionally, this course places a lot of focus on the fact that even simple tasks can pose a serious risk and it’s important to define it.
- Improved Health and Safety Performance. This is the main goal for the IOSH Managing Safely course. We take an in-depth look into all the workplace safety issues and everything related to inspections, protective equipment, permits, emergency procedures, and more.
Other benefits to expect from the IOSH Managing Safely course:
- Memorable and thought-provoking facts and case studies
- Modules backed by clear examples and recognisable scenarios
- Summaries to reinforce key points
- Checklists and materials supplied for subsequent use in workplace
- Informal and interactive quizzes and discussions
- Evaluation using a multi-format question paper and a multiple choice hazard spotting exercise
How Long Does It Take to Complete the Intellelearn IOSH Managing Safely Course?
You can complete the Intellelearn IOSH Managing Safely course in only 16-24 hours but ultimately, it will depend on the current knowledge and experience of the learner. There are many benefits, other than speed of learning, of Intellelearn online/eLearning:
Efficiency. Learners go at their own pace. It is not necessary to learn at the pace of the slowest learner in the classroom.
Accessibility Of Time And Place. Another advantage of online learning is that it allows students to attend classes from any location of their choice.
Affordability. Another advantage of online learning is reduced financial costs. Online education is far more affordable as compared to physical learning.
Improved Student Attendance. Since online courses can be taken from home or location of choice, there are fewer chances of students missing out on lessons.
Suits a Variety of Learning Styles. Every student has a different learning journey and a different learning style.
What Follows the IOSH Managing Safely Course?
Once you complete the IOSH Managing Safely course, you can take the next step and get the NEBOSH National General Certificate. It’s a more in-depth health and safety management course and it’s a relevant qualification.
NEBOSH certifications are available for specific working environments. For example, there’s the NEBOSH National Certificate in Construction Health and Safety.
However, if you’d like to get a general overview of health and safety management in the workplace, we recommend you choose the NEBOSH National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety.
Managing the Health and Safety of people is not something any company, business, or organisation can afford to ignore. We have discussed all the amazing benefits it provides and we hope we’ve helped you understand why it matters so much.
The IOSH Managing Safely course is not just about accomplishing the highest possible level of health and safety. It’s also about allowing managers and people of responsibility to understand the importance of their role.
Here at Intellelearn, we provide the IOSH Managing Safely course as an IOSH fully approved partner. We are proud of our 100% success rate plus the 200+ 5 Star reviews captured through Yotpo. If you want to get started, just click here to order. Contact us for bulk purchases or if you have any questions at all.
Additionally, we offer many other valuable courses for a variety of industries. Our online training portal is intuitive and very easy to navigate, and our satisfied customers speak for themselves.